45 Rockefeller Plaza
New York, NY, 10111-0100
BakerHostetler, one of the nation’s largest law firms, represents clients around the globe. With offices coast to coast, our more than 940 lawyers litigate cases and resolve disputes that potentially threaten clients’ competitiveness, navigate the laws and regulations that shape the global economy, and help clients develop and close deals that fuel their strategic growth.
We have five core practice groups: Litigation, Business, Employment, Intellectual Property, and Tax. Within these groups are several large specialty practices, including antitrust, bankruptcy, healthcare, energy, middle market mergers and acquisitions, complex commercial litigation, data privacy and security, patent prosecution and international tax. Our attorneys have broad knowledge and experience in many industries, including energy, media, manufacturing, healthcare, financial services and insurance, consumer products, and hospitality.
We distinguish ourselves through our commitment to the highest standard of client care. By emphasizing an approach to service delivery as exacting as our legal work, we are determined to surpass our clients’ expectations.
Our firm was founded on three core principles: to develop and sustain mutually beneficial, long-term relationships with each of its clients; to provide timely, responsive, and high quality legal services; and to be generous with both time and money to the communities where we work. We have consistently nurtured a collegial approach among our lawyers, assuring effective teamwork in handling client work, while maintaining a culture of providing exceptional legal counsel with a clear focus on value. We are committed to the continuous development of our people and of the resources essential to delivering effective and distinctive legal services worldwide.
Securities Law and Financial Services Regulation
- Counseling multiple companies regarding cryptocurrency transactions and token-generating events such as initial coin offerings (ICOs).
- Advising multiple cryptocurrency industry clients on Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA); state money transmitter licensing; money services business (MSB) registration under U.S. Department of the Treasury Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN) regulations; Bank Secrecy Act, anti-money laundering and sanctions compliance; and consumer protection, privacy and cybersecurity matters.
- Serving as “outside general counsel” to next-phase blockchain company, including advice on token generating event, intellectual property, employment, corporate and other matters.
- Representing a blockchain startup in responding to an SEC subpoena regarding a prior ICO event.
Industry-specific Blockchain Advice
- Advised a major financial services company on developing and offering blockchain-enabled products and services, including intellectual property, technology transactions, cybersecurity and data protection issues.
- Counseled an advertising industry client on use of blockchain technology in adtech, including issues related to patents, incentive and reward programs, and use of cryptocurrencies.
- As a member of a panel of academic, technology and privacy/cybersecurity leaders, advised tech and government sectors on use of blockchain technologies to secure and streamline elections.